The Criterion Collection has announced five new titles to debut on Blu-Ray in April: History Is Made At Night (1937), Memories of Murder (2003), The Furies (1950), Irma Vep (1996) and Masculin féminin (1966). These represent breakthrough films from Bong Joon Ho and Olivier Assayas, a classic love story with Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur, crackling Anthony Mann western-melodrama and a notable title from French New Wave icon Jean-Luc Godard. Details on these films can be found below:
Street Date: April 13, 2021
Synopsis: Suffused with intoxicating romanticism, History Is Made at Night is a sublime paean to love from Frank Borzage, classic Hollywood’s supreme poet of carnal and spiritual desire. On the run through Europe from her wealthy, cruelly possessive husband, an American (Jean Arthur) is thrown together by fate with a suave stranger (Charles Boyer)—and soon the two are bound in a consuming, seemingly impossible affair that stretches across continents and brings them to the very edge of catastrophe. Lent a palpable erotic charge by the chemistry between its leads, this delirious vision of lovers beset by the world passes through a dizzying array of tonal shifts—from melodrama to romantic comedy to noir to disaster thriller—smoothly guided by Borzage’s unwavering allegiance to the power of love.
- New, restored 4K digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
- New conversation between author Hervé Dumont (Frank Borzage: The Life and Films of a Hollywood Romantic) and film historian Peter Cowie
- Interview from 2019 with critic Farran Smith Nehme about director Frank Borzage’s obsession with romantic love
- Audio excerpts of a 1958 interview with Borzage from the collection of the George Eastman Museum
- Radio adaptation of the film from 1940, broadcast by The Screen Guild Theater and starring Charles Boyer
- New program about the restoration
- English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- PLUS: An essay by critic Dan Callahan
Dillon is most comfortable sitting around in a theatre all day watching both big budget and independent movies.