In “DC League of Super-Pets,” Krypto the Super-Dog (Dwayne Johnson) and Superman (John Krasinski) are inseparable best friends, sharing the same superpowers and fighting crime in Metropolis side by side. When Superman and the rest of the Justice League are kidnapped, Krypto must convince a rag-tag shelter pack—Ace the hound (Kevin Hart), PB the potbellied pig (Vanessa Bayer), Merton the turtle (Natasha Lyonne) and Chip the squirrel (Diego Luna)—to master their own newfound powers and help him rescue the superheroes.
For in-depth thoughts on DC League of Super-Pets, please see my colleague Dom Fisher’s review from its original theatrical release here.
DC League of Super-Pets comes to 4K UHD Blu-Ray with a vibrant 2160p HDR10 transfer. The mesmerizing colors of this transfer are what the format was made for as they leap off the screen with the wide range of hues permeating every inch of the frame. Black levels are very strong with no hint of compression artifacts or digital anomalies of the sort. When it comes to the characters, all of the distinct facets that give them personality stand out in a brilliant way. The textures of the different character designs and environments are impressive and give the film a notable sense of depth. One of the most pleasing aspects of this expeirence is the fun character designs which render with perfect fluid motions throughout. Animation technology is always evolving in new and exciting ways, and it is put to good use with this feature. The animation team has put a lot of care into each background which shines through here. Environmental details in particular are plentiful and worth exploring with each subsequent viewing. Warner Bros. has delivered a wonderful transfer.
This 4K UHD Blu-Ray utilizes a Dolby Atmos track that gives this action-packed film a very immersive soundscape. While much of the activity is focused on the front channels, the activity extends to the surrounds and rears to allow for a more nuanced and impactful experience. Get ready for the implementation of the height channels that truly make you feel as if you are in the middle of the action with all of its fly-overs. The film makes an impression when it comes to the score and the needle drops, and this track renders everything with an impeccable fidelity. Dialogue is crisp and clear without ever getting lost overwhelmed by the music or sound effects. The low end activity from the subwoofer gives numerous moments a grand amount of strength for texture. Environmental sound effects are rendered precisely within the mix so that directionality is never an issue. This film has been provided with a track that is not struggling for nuance. There are optional English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles provided.
- How To Draw Krypto: A seven-minute video in which Animation Supervisor David Burgess guides you through how to draw your own Krypto like a professional.
- Behind The Super Voices: A pretty great 15-minute piece in which the voice performers and the creative team discuss the different personalities of the characters, the qualities that these performers bring to their role, the actual process of recording the lines in different configurations and more.
- Super-Pets Animation 101: An eight-minute featurette in which the creative team discuss the development of the film, their personal favorite characters, their designs and more.
- The World Of Super-Pets: A nearly eight-minute piece which looks at how the creative team used certain inspirations for the world, drawing from rich DC lore and more.
- Find The Easter Eggs: A nearly four-minute exploration of the various treats shown in the film.
- Deleted Scenes: Twelve scenes totaling 21 minutes of unused footage is provided mostly in rough early storyboard form which delivers a really good time .
DC League of Super-Pets is a breath of fresh air in the world of DC, as you get something contained with a distinct point of view while still honoring what has come before. The film deftly balances the action with humor in a way that will have families especially cheering. The voice cast all make a good impression, and the film leaves you wanting to see these characters return for future adventures. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has provided this one with a 4K UHD Blu-Ray that is stunning on all accounts from the lovely A/V presentation to the array of special features. If you are a superhero fan, there is no way you will be disappointed here. Recommended
DC League of Super-Pets is currently available to purchase on 4K UHD Blu-Ray, Blu-Ray, DVD and Digital.
Note: Images presented in this review are not reflective of the image quality of the 4K UHD Blu-Ray.
Disclaimer: Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has supplied a copy of this disc free of charge for review purposes. All opinions in this review are the honest reactions of the author.
Dillon is most comfortable sitting around in a theatre all day watching both big budget and independent movies.