1. Teach Students to Love ReadingReading is an entertaining activity, but not everyone is a fan of it. Many students struggle to improve their reading skills. This is where a visual format of books seen in graphic novels and comics is highly beneficial for a student. Instead of immersing yourself in a tough novel, you can enjoy intense visuals and focus on short stories. Think of this as a reading practice. By reading comic books, you aren’t just entertaining yourself. You’re also developing the reading skills that are required from a student in order to comprehend different written texts. Modern education uses this as a model for literacy instruction. You learn how to process information in an interesting, visually appealing way.
2. Boost Critical Thinking SkillsAccording to Dale Jacobs, a professor at the University of Windsor, comic books require that their readers create meaning by using modalities. When you read a comic book, you must process all sorts of components including textual, visual, as well as spatial. Then, you need to integrate them into a single understanding of a story as a whole. Such books might seem simple, but reading them involves more complex processing than most people think. It’s not just about looking at pretty pictures. It’s also about learning to think differently and looking at the big picture.
3. Can Be Very Interesting to ReadIn a busy academic life, every student needs some outlet that would help them rewind, refuel, and relax. A good comic book can provide exactly this. Entertainment is one of the best ways to clear your mind, as you can read in the essay samples here https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/entertainment/. Just pick your favorite genre and find an entertaining story, and immerse yourself in a fun evening by reading a comic book. Many of these books are really cool. Just think of Batman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Superman, The Incredible Hulk, or Captain America. Everyone has heard of these characters and maybe even seen all these movies. Superheroes are cool and they are almost always present in comic books. Of course, nowadays, the choice is much wider. Comic books are not all about superheroes these days. If you have a different taste, you can find books that feature classic stories, movie stars, and many more. Here is a list of the most popular comics for students these days.
4. Help Improve Students’ Writing SkillsNot all students excel in written tasks. Even so, professors assign essays and research papers to all students. Thankfully, you don’t have to be born a talented writer to craft great papers. You need practice. One of the perks of reading comic books is the effect this has on your writing skills. Many people reach for images to support their ideas or stories. The combination of images and words can resolve many storytelling problems and give students a much-needed practice for writing.
5. Build Up the Self-EsteemOne of the most common problems that educational institutions have is the diminishing self-esteem in students. Due to the big pressure that college life brings, many students are too tired and overwhelmed. If they fail in something such as meeting a deadline or getting a low grade, they feel frustrated. Since comic books boost the reading and writing skills, this can help the progress of students in school. This promotes literacy in innovative ways and gives students confidence to read more often. As a result, they perform better in school and have higher self-esteem.
6. They are Excellent for Students with DisabilitiesStudents who suffer from disabilities such as dyslexia or autism can identify greatly with the emotions displayed in comic books. These remove the frustration that occurs when it comes to reading and understanding, and make the experience more pleasurable and entertaining.
7. Inspire CreativityCreativity is very important when you are studying. In fact, it is an important thing at any point considering that it’s what motivates you to get things done. Graphic and comic novels are an excellent tool to enhance your creativity. They inspire you and give you a perspective.
8. They are InexpensiveWith so many benefits that you can get from reading these books, it can be hard to believe how cheap they are. Students’ financial constraints do not matter when it comes to comic books since you can find many cheap, even second-hand books to keep you entertained.
Final ThoughtsComic books have a great ability to improve the quality of education of students, their personal development, as well as their well-being. In addition to being highly entertaining, comics bring a whole set of benefits to those who read them. They help make you more creative, improve your writing and reading skills, boost your critical thinking, etc. Since many comics are inexpensive, they are accessible and available to all.
Paul Calderon is an accomplished academic writer having worked with various assignment writing services for more than a decade. He has worked on a variety of projects including essays, term papers, thesis and dissertations. In his free time, he loves to play badminton, watch the latest flicks and read and review famous books.